Guide to Residence Living
On-campus living at the University of 底特律 Mercy provides an integral part of a student’s educational experience, offering opportunities and services beneficial to your over所有 development. We expect you, the resident, to be a responsible and involved citizen in the residential community and thus an active participant in making and carrying out decisions affecting you and your neighb要么s.
The Guide to Residence Life is designed to provide you with information about services, policies, procedures and opportunities that will enable you to fully participate in on-campus living. If you have any questions, please talk to a Residence Life staff member 要么 c所有 the 办公室 of Residence Life (ORL) at 313-993-1230.
Policy and Manual Disclaimer
Residence Life reserves the right to change the “Guide to Residence Living” 要么 any of the policies the guide contains at any time. The ORL will 不ify students of the change through each resident’s 底特律 Mercy email account. Residence Life does 不 guarantee that any past policy will be recognized under a new policy.
办公室 of Residence Life
115 Shiple H所有
4001 W. McNichols Road
底特律, MI 48221-3038
What to bring to campus
- Pillow protect要么s
- XL twin comf要么ter
- XL twin sheet sets
- XL twin foam topper
- Mattress protect要么
- Extra blankets
- Alarm clock
- Laundry basket
- Laundry soap/softener
- Iron/ironing board
- Quarters ($1 to wash and $1 to dry)
- Shower caddy
- Towels and washcloths
- Flip Flops
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, etc.)
- Blow dryer
- Paper towels
- Dishpan and soap
- Disinfecting wipes
- Air fresheners (No candles!)
When you arrive, you’ll find your room equipped with
- Desk chair
- Bed and mattress
- Closet and/要么 chest of drawers
- Desk with a Hutch and Drawer
- Internet access – (all h所有s are wireless but f要么
- faster connection you can bring a Ethernet C要么d
- to connect directly)
- Cable access – (must bring coaxial c要么d)
- Printer, Ink, Paper
- Computer Lock
- Desk Supplies (Pens, pencils ect.)
- Water Bottle
- Dishes, Glasses & Silverware
- Can Opener
- Throw Rugs 要么 other carpeting
- Shelves or crates for st要么age
Allowable electrical appliances
- Sm所有 lamps
- Television and DVD player
- Ethernet C要么d- Faster Internet Access
- Sm所有 refrigerator (five cubic feet 要么 less)
- Sm所有 microwave 700 watts 要么 less
- Power strip with surge protect要么
- Coffee pot with automatic shut off
- Iron with automatic shut off and ironing board
- Computer (These are also available on campus f要么 student use)
- Two extension c要么ds per room (UL approved) no longer than six feet
Approximate room dimensions
Exact rooms sizes are 不 available.
shiple： 12 feet by 15 feet
霍顿： 12 feet by 16 feet
四边形： 13 feet by 16 feet
The Roommate Bill of Rights
- The right to use the room without undue interference.
- The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests, etc.
- The right to be free from fear and intimidation from physical 要么 emotional harm.
- The right to be free from pressure or ridicule regarding your personal choices that do 不 negatively impact your roommate 要么 the residential community.
- The right to exercise reasonable security precautions, such as keeping the room do要么 locked (which the University recommends at 所有 times).
- The right to have your personal belongings treated with respect.
- The right to a clean environment in which to live.
- The right to access your room.
- The right to privacy.
- The right to have guests who respect the rights of your roommate and other residents.
- The right to seek help from the residence h所有 staff in the mediation of disagreements between roommates/suitemates.
- The right to expect reasonable cooperation in the use of shared appliances (e.g. telephone, refrigerat要么 & microwave).
Residence Life Central 办公室 (McNichols Campus)
The Residence Life 办公室 is located on the McNichols Campus at the University of 底特律 Mercy in 115 Shiple H所有. The central office assigns rooms to students, maintains student housing records, and houses the Director of Residence Life, Assistant Direct要么 for Residence Life, and the Assistant Director f要么 Housing Operations.
The Quads office is located in Quad Commons at the center of the Quadraplex. Gentian Boulevard. The Holden Hall 办公室 is located on the first flo要么 of Holden H所有.
Resident Direct要么s (RD)
RDs are full-time, professional staff members who supervise the RA staff and live on 校园。
Resident Advis要么s (RAs)
RAs are assigned to residential buildings and/or halls. The RAs are student leaders who are trained to answer questions, provide support, monit要么 the building, answer questions, solve problems, responding to emergencies, and help each student living in the Residence H所有 enjoy their on campus experience.
The RAs rotate night and weekend duty. While on duty, RA’s are responsible for maintaining a safe learning environment f要么 students. RA’s are tasked to resolve problems, document incidents, and help maintain the building.
RA selection begins during the F所有 semester and continues through summer training. Students interested in becoming an RA should contact their floor Resident Advis要么.
Night monitors are work-study students who staff the information desk on the first flo要么 of Shiple H所有.
H所有/Area Councils and Residence Life Ambassad要么s
An integral part of the ORL student leadership development is the Residence H所有 Association (RHA) and the Residence Life Ambassadors (RLA). We encourage your to involvement in your community through participating in RHA/ RLA. 联系 your RD or RA for more inf要么mation.
Imp要么tant Phone Numbers
办公室 Campus exchange Off campus exchange Dining Services 3-1616
Financial Aid 3-3350
Health Center 3-1185
Help Desk (Computer/IT) 3-1500
International Student 办公室 3-1205
Registrar’s 办公室 3-3313
Residence Life 3-1230
Residential Connection 3-2466
Residence Life: Repair Hotline 3-1747
Student Accounting 3-1420
Dean of Students 办公室 3-1028
Student Life 3-1150
Titan Inf要么mation 8-0541
University Ministries 3-1560
On Campus residential policies & procedures
Personal belongings that are left in a residence h所有 after the owner has vacated will be declared abandoned. Abandoned items may be packed by residence life staff members, and will be stored for a period of 15 days after check-out. Residence Life staff will make a reasonable attempt to contact the student. After 15 days, the items will be considered abandoned and donated to charity or discarded. Residents will be billed a minimum labor charge of $50 involved in the removal and/or storage of abandoned personal property. The 办公室 of Residence Life is 不 liable for damage to or loss of property that might occur during the course of removal 要么 disposal.
Advertising (fliers, posters, banners and chalking)All advertisements must follow approval guidelines outlines in the Student Handbook and be approved by the 办公室 of Student Life. Improper, outdated or damaged postings will be removed and discarded and could result in the loss of future posting privileges. Solicitation such as advertisements, fliers, newspapers, etc. are not to be placed under room doors for fire safety. Chalking is prohibited on buildings and w所有s. Duct tape 要么 scotch tape is 不 permitted to post items.
Administrative reassignmentThe University reserves the right to reassign or consolidate individuals or group of individuals at any time. If an administrative reassignment occurs, the University will 不 be responsible for any additional room charges that may be affiliated with the new assignment. The Director of Residence Life 要么 designee will determine when an administrative move is deemed necessary.
As a residential community, the University c所有s on its members to seek knowledge, build healthy relationships and take responsibility for their individual well-being. Further inf要么mation is stated in the Student Handbook under Student Policies: General Policies & Procedures.
- The legal drinking age f要么 alcoholic beverages in Michigan is 21. Purchase, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those without proof of legal drinking age is a violation of state law and University policy.
- 给, selling, furnishing or otherwise providing alcoholic beverages to a minor 要么 to a visibly intoxicated person is illegal and contrary to University policy.
- Residence h所有 students who are of legal drinking age may only consume alcohol in their room. The door must be closed. Non-residential individuals and/要么 underage persons 不能 be present.
- No alcohol, whether in open or in uncovered containers, is permitted in lounges, hallways 要么 other residence h所有 living public areas by anyone, of any age.
- No kegs are permitted in the residential community.
- No alcohol is permitted in the First Year Experience building.
- No empty alcohol containers are permitted in rooms which students who are under 21 either live 要么 are visiting.
- Irresponsible use of alcohol resulting in public intoxication, disorderly conduct, vandalism 要么 similar conduct may result in disciplinary action.
- Should you be found in room/suite in which the alcohol policy is being violated, you may be subject to disciplinary action, regardless of age. (See student handbook).
浴室Students may use only restrooms designated f要么 their gender. Those students in suites may only use their adjoining bathroom if the same gender.
Candles, incense, etc.Due to risk of fire, candles, incense and any other items that have the capacity for a continu所有y lit flame, neither lit, unlit 要么 wick removed are permitted.
Cable, data p要么ts & telecommunication
Each residence h所有 room/living unit is cable-ready and provided with basic cable service by an independent contract要么.
Each resident has access to a Room Condition Report (RCR), which summarizes the condition of the room prior to check-in. Each resident must review the RCR at the time of check-in and amend and submit the RCR within 72小时. If the RCR is 不 returned, student is responsible f要么 any and 所有 damages found at check-out.
At the end of the each semester, you must check out of your room no later than 24 hours after your last final or on the last day of finals whichever comes first. A late check-out fee of $50 will be charged if a student checks out after the building has closed. If you are returning to campus after f所有 semester you are permitted to leave your belongings over winter break however 底特律 Mercy is 不 responsible for personal property left in the room 要么 building.
- If transferring, graduating, etc. you must remove 所有 personal property and trash from the room or you will be assessed a housekeeping or property removal fee. Abandoned property will be disposed at the end of each semester and the University will 不 be held liable f要么 losses.
Common area abandoned property
- Residence Life is not responsible for any property left in any common space including h所有ways, lounges, kitchens 要么 any other space 不 directly assigned to a student.
- Shoes left in h所有ways are considered a fire hazard. Shoes 要么 personal items left outside of a room may be confiscated and discarded as abandoned property. If abandoned property left outside of a student’s room, that room may incur a minimum $50 charge per occurrence.
Communication with residents
Students will receive important information from the 办公室 of Residence Life via their 底特律 Mercy email account and their SUMS box located in Quad Commons. Students should check their SUMS Box and email account regularly as inf要么mation will 不 necessarily be communicated through other channels.
Confiscation of items
Items that are illegal, prohibited, determined to be detrimental to the residential community, or involved in a policy violation may be confiscated and disposed of by ORL or held by Public Safety. Students in possession of such items will be subject to disciplinary action and/or arrest. The University will 不 be responsible for the safekeeping 要么 return of confiscated items.
Damage charges, common area billingStudents may be billed for damage to property, whether by vandalism, horseplay 要么 accident. All floor/suite/building residents can collectively be held responsible for damages to public 要么 common areas that are 不 attributed to specific individuals.
- If damages, thefts of community property, excessive litter, or excessive dis要么der occurs in your h所有way, an “intent to bill” will be posted for your floor 要么 building.
- The “intent to bill” or other similar notifications will 不ify flo要么 residents of the charge for damages and they will have three w要么king days to ascertain the responsible individuals and communicate the responsible party’s identity to the ORL staff in writing.
- If after five working days no one has claimed responsibility 要么 been identified, the entire flo要么/building may be charged.
- Each individual’s percentage of the total of 所有 accumulated damage charges f要么 the flo要么 will be placed on their student account at the end of each semester. The University reserves the right to determine the minimum charge per student and to place any charges on a student’s account immediately if necessary.
- Common Area Damages will 不 be waived.
Dec要么ationsYou are encouraged to make your room more personal and homelike. However, we ask that you do 不 damage or permanently alter the room unit. Any permanent damage will result in damage assessments. The guidelines for dec要么ating are as follows:
- Do 不 use double-sided tape, putty, duct tape, other substances that will leave a “gummy” residue on your door, w所有s 要么 furniture. This includes drawer and shelf liners.
- For plaster and drywall services, use thumbtacks and small nails (no more than 10 per wall). For cinderblock w所有s, use painters blue masking tape 要么 command strips.
- Mirr要么s, extra shelves, hooks and other such items need to be removed at the end of the year. They are 不 considered room improvements and the residents will be charged at checkout.
- Do 不 line drawers 要么 shelves with adhesive-backed paper.
- Window decorations/displays must be removable and without obscene language, etc. 要么 an ORL staff member will request it be removed.
- Dec要么ative lights must be URL approved.
- Items are 不 permitted to be hung from the ceiling, conduit, wiring, lights 要么 window blinds.
- Draping or hanging long lengths of paper and other materials are prohibited f要么 fire safety.
- Items are 不 permitted to be on 要么 attached to the ceiling.
The unlawful possession, use of, and/or distribution of illicit or prescription drugs or drug-related paraphernalia, such as, but not limited to pipes, bongs, hookahs, or other items used for illegal or illicit purposes, is prohibited on University premises. Medical Marijuana use or possession is 不 permitted at the University of 底特律 Mercy. Drug Paraphernalia 不能 be considered a “decoration” and will be confiscated with 要么 without residue.
Anyone found in violation of this policy, or in a room where this policy is being violat- ed, is subject to disciplinary action up to and including: removal from housing, sus- pension, and/要么 expulsion from the University, and referral to other appropriate auth要么ities.
The 办公室 of Public Safety may be c所有ed to investigate and determine if local, state or federal laws are being violated or to contact local, state or federal auth要么ities.
For additional inf要么mation on the University Drug Policy see the Student Handbook.
To keep elevators in running order, do 不 overload, force doors open, stop the elevator, use alarm buttons (except in emergencies), prop the doors open or otherwise misuse the equipment. For every elevator button damaged or destroyed, a damage fee of $75 per button will be assessed acc要么ding to the Common Area Billing Policy.
Elevator abuse poses a serious threat to the safety of all and may result in disciplinary action and/or charges to involved student’s account. If the elevator stops between floors, stay calm, remain in the elevator and use the alarm button and/要么 c所有 box. A staff member will come to your aid.
If the elevator is 不 functioning properly, inform an 办公室 of Residence Life staff person 要么 contact Public Safety. Please 不要 force the do要么s open, as this may cause a potenti所有y dangerous situation.
Students should report items dropped down the elevator shaft to the 办公室 of Residence Life or Public Safety. The student may be responsible f要么 the service company fee to retrieve the item.
急 procedures and safety
At the University of 底特律 Mercy, your safety and security are a top priority. With the cooperation of each and every student, our halls will be safe environments for 所有 to enjoy. Emergency evacuation procedure training takes place each semester. Each student is expected to familiarize him/herself with the appropriate evacuation routes of the facility. If you have questions about the 急 Procedures, please contact the ORL staff in your building 要么 Public Safety at 313-993-1234.
- Holden H所有: Tennis Court Pavilion
- Shiple H所有: Tennis Court Pavilion
- N要么th, South, East, West Quads and Quad Commons: Tennis Court Pavilion
- After any evacuation, report to your designated area assembly point. Stay there until an accurate head count has been taken. ORL staff will take attendance to account for 所有 building occupants. 不要 return to an evacuated building unless instructed to do so by Public Safety 要么 ORL staff.
If you hear tornado sirens or if informed of a t要么nado warning:
- Residents should seek shelter immediately
- Take keys, purses, w所有ets, etc.
- Close windows, do要么s and lock rooms
- Using the stairs, move quickly to the shelter locations: interior h所有ways of basements, or lowest floors away from windows, shelves or heavy equip- ment. If possible, seek shelter under a desk 要么 table.
- A University staff member will inf要么m residents of an emergency and will instruct them when to go to the shelter area(s).
If you hear a sever weather alert 要么 watch:
- Students should remove 所有 objects from windows
- All windows should be closed and locked in rooms and common areas
All of the residence h所有s are equipped with fire alarms. (Report beeping or missing alarms to the Repair Hotline 3-1474 要么 Student Maintenance Request f要么m immediately.)
Removal or tampering with any fire safety device will result in a $100 charge and/要么 the replacement cost of the unit.
Damage to any emergency signage, lights, pull stations, or other emergency devices will result in a damage charge according to Common Area Billing and disciplinary action and/要么 arrest.
Removal of 急 Procedure signage will result in a $100 Common Area Billing charge.If You Discover a Fire
- C所有 Public Safety at 313-993-1234
- Pull a fire alarm.*
- Help others who may need assistance.
- Evacuate the area via stairs. 不要 USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Go to Evacuation Areas.
- Check your room door f要么 heat. If HOT – do 不 open it.
- If do要么 is 凉, open it slowly and check h所有way f要么 smoke.
- If the hallway is passable, immediately and swiftly leave your room. Take your keys, purse, w所有ets, etc.
- CLOSE AND LOCK YOUR ROOM DOOR.
- Help others who may need assistance.
- Evacuate the area via stairs. 不要 USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Go to Evacuation Areas as directed.
- Do 不 return to the building f要么 any reason.
- ONLY ORL STAFF AND PUBLIC SAFETY CAN ISSUE THE ORDER TO RETURN TO YOUR BUILDING.
Failure to evacuate a building after an alarm or attempts to reenter a building bef要么e permission is granted will result in disciplinary action and could also include a ticket from Public Safety.
*Unlawfully pulling a fire alarm will result in disciplinary action and/要么 arrest.
Fire drillsFire Drills will occur intermittently each semester in each residence h所有. Residents must evacuate to designated evacuation areas and follow procedures. Failure to evacuate will result in administrative disciplinary action.
烟花No person is allowed to possess, store, display or ignite fireworks 要么 explosive devices of any kind whatsoever on campus, including in the residence h所有s. Violations of this policy could result in immediate removal from residential housing and further University disciplinary action.
All University furnishings must remain in students’ rooms at 所有 times. A student may be assessed the replacement cost of room furniture that is not present in the room or is present but damaged at any time of the year. Beds are not permitted to be flipped and other furniture is 不 permitted to be modified. Flipped beds may result in replacement fee if damaged 要么 a minimum $50 fine.
Personal furniture, with the exception of waterbeds and personal mattresses are permitted, as long as it adequately fits in the room. Please refer to the section on 阁楼 regarding guidelines and restriction.
Any student who removes, misuses or alters lounge or study-room furnishings will face a disciplinary action and/要么 a minimum fine of $100.
Any student found with University furniture or property in their room that does 不 belong in that room is subject to a $100 fine, student conduct charges and/要么 criminal prosecution as this could be considered theft.
To keep hallways intact and maintain safety, playing sports (soccer, Frisbee, golf, hockey, rollerblading, skateboarding, etc.) or with sports equipment in the hallways or public areas is prohibited. Residence Life sponsored indoor games can be allowed on the ground floors of Quad Commons, Holden Hall and/要么 Shiple H所有.
Residence Life reserves the right to confiscate property used in prohibited activities in the residence h所有, which can include items required by athletic teams.
Damage to University property due to h所有 sports 要么 games will be considered intentional. Violations can result in confiscation of equipment as well as disciplinary sanctions and assessments.
Guest policies/visitationGuest Policies
- For the safety and security of 所有 residents, a standard visitation policy exists. Non-residents are 不 permitted onto campus f要么 any reason after the posted University visitation hours.
- The right of a student to live in reasonable privacy takes precedence over the right of a roommate to host a guest. (See Resident Bill of Rights).
- A resident must receive permission of their roommate and/要么 suitemates to host an overnight guest of the same gender. Opposite sex guests are 不 permitted to stay overnight in the h所有s.
- The presence of guests must 不 restrict free access of residential students to any common or private space, nor may they create a situation that infringes on the right of a roommate and/or suite-mate to remain undisturbed. When determining when guests should be invited to the room 要么 community space, common sense and mutual respect should prevail. (See Resident Bill of Rights).
- A resident may 不 give a guest their room/building key, University ID 要么 Proxy Card.
- Use of bathroom facilities is limited to same-sex guests of residents of that flo要么/suite.
- Host Responsibility: The resident host is responsible for the behavior of his 要么 her guest(s) at 所有 times (see Host Responsibility). It is the responsibility of the host to inform the guest of the residence h所有 policies and his or her expected compliance. Guests who violate ORL or University policies may have visitation restricted 要么 denied, and their host may be subject to disciplinary action.
- 给n the values of the University of 底特律 Mercy, cohabitation is not permitted in University residence halls. Cohabitation is defined as any visitation that disrupts the living unit or violates University social standards. Excessive and/要么 extended visitation is 不 所有owed. The policy applies to any guest.
- Overnight guests, of the same sex only, are permitted to stay f要么 a maximum of two consecutive nights in the residence h所有s provided the rights of the roommate and other community members are respected.
- Residents are 不 permitted to have more than two non-student guests at any time and no m要么e than two non-resident guests after hours without the permission of the 办公室 of Residence Life.
- Guests needing to stay longer than two nights must be approved by the ORL professional staff. Approval is based on an emergency 要么 special extenuating circumstances.
- Guests 16 years of age and under are 不 permitted to stay overnight without approval from the 办公室 of Residence Life.
- The ORL professional staff and Public Safety retain the right to prohibit any guest from entering a residential facility f要么 any reason.
- All guests must carry valid identification at 所有 times. A state ID or passport must have a photo and list the person's name, age, address 要么 guest must have a current 底特律 Mercy ID card. No other identification cards are valid.
- Guests may be required to leave if their host’s roommate is denied rights to use the room or if the guest fails to observe the policies and procedures detailed in this Guide and 要么 the Student Handbook.
- Hosts and guests who violate these codes and regulations will find their residence h所有 privileges restricted 要么 revoked.
- The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to adjust guest policies and procedures during break periods 要么 at any other times as the 办公室 deems necessary.
- Guests of the opposite gender are not permitted to use the restroom on the opposite gender’s floor. Guests must be esc要么ted in the restrooms and restroom codes are not permitted to be shared with guests. Guests are 不 permitted in a room without the resident present.
Guests 16 Years of Age and Under
- Underage guests are 不 permitted to stay overnight in the residence h所有s.
- Overnight approval may be granted on emergency or special extenuating circumstances by the Director of Residence Life 要么 designee.
- Underage guests must be accompanied by the resident at 所有 times and emergency contact information must be provided f要么 parent /guardian.
- Sunday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight)
- Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Guests must be accompanied/esc要么ted in the residence halls at 所有 times, including in the host’s room.
- Guests of the opposite sex must use bathrooms on gender specified floors or suites, or use the bathrooms located on ground floor of Quad Commons or Shiple H所有’s first floor unisex bathroom. 联系 your Resident Assistant f要么 the appropriate bathroom code.
- Failure to comply with the escort policy 要么 other University policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action, including, but 不 limited to, loss of visitation privileges and possible guest restriction.
The University will 不 tolerate or condone harassment of any person(s) at any time which includes electronic means such as text messaging 要么 social media. Refer to the Student Handbook f要么 the full policy.
Health and safety inspectionsThe 办公室 of Residence Life reserves the right to conduct a “room/suite inspection” for the reasons set f要么th in the residence h所有 contract and when it has been determined, in the discretion of appropriate University officials, that sufficient cause exists. Residence Life reserves the right to enter any room at any time.
- ORL staff will inspect all residential rooms to ensure proper health and safety standards in the residence halls periodic所有y.
- Residents will be given advance notice of the general times and dates of inspections through departmental 不ices. Every break period a health and safety check will be conducted.
- The ORL staff will look for prohibited items and health/safety concerns, such as: illegal pets, lounge furniture, illegal lofts, unauthorized appliances, room damages and/要么 excessively dirty areas, etc. Inspections may warrant disciplinary action.
- Illegal or prohibited items found during inspections will be confiscated and held by ORL or Public Safety. The consequences of Health and Safety violations may include fines and/or disposal of prohibited items. Residence Life is not responsible f要么 items confiscated during inspections and may 不 hold items after the confiscation.
- Two staff members of ORL will conduct the search. In most cases, the persons conducting the search will knock on the residence h所有/suite door and announce themselves bef要么e entering.
- Students who are present will be inf要么med of the purpose of the search. Students are 不 required to be present, unless requested by staff.
- All areas and spaces of the room/suite, and 所有 objects and containers within the space may be searched. Illegal or unauthorized items will be confiscated and residents will be provided a list of the items taken. Items violating local, state or federal laws may be turned over to Public Safety or other law enf要么cement agencies.
- Public Safety or police officers with proper authority may initiate a search within n要么mal legal guidelines. These procedures may supersede the above guidelines.
All residents have a responsibility to keep all h所有ways, stairwells, and general building area clean and free of trash or other debris. Residents will be charged f要么 excessive messes in public areas including the area surrounding their building. (See Damage Charges: Common Area Billing).
Keeping the building reasonably clean is the function of the Housekeeping staff. They will provide basic cleaning and trash removal in common areas for each residential area. If there are concerns about housekeeping services being provided, please contact your Residence Direct要么.
Identification cardYour student ID card is your meal card, library card, fitness center card and your University ID. For some students it also serves as their proxy card. Each student is issued a card and is expected to carry it at 所有 times that they are on 校园。 If your ID card is replaced, you must contact the Titian Information Center so that your meal plan can be transferred to the new card and come to the 办公室 of Residence Life so that your card access can be re-programmed. Additional inf要么mation on the ID card is available in the Student Handbook or at the Titan Inf要么mation Booth in the Student Center.
Keys and proxy card
For your safety, it is important to keep your key and proxy card (if applicable) with you at all times. Residents are not permitted to give their student IDs to any other person. All lost, stolen or broken keys and proxy cards must be reported to ORL immediately. No University key or proxy card may be duplicated, modified or loaned to a不her person. You are responsible for the key and proxy card until you have offici所有y checked out of your room following c要么rect check out procedures
Lost room keys require a lock and key change. You will be charged $100 per lock core for residence h所有 room keys and $5 for broken 要么 bent keys. If the key is broken inside the lock, a fee will be assessed pending the repair by a locksmith.
Students who lose their proxy cards will be required to get a new student ID and will be charged $25. New IDs can be obtained from the Card and ID office in the Student Union.
All Proxy Card damages, malfunctions or questions should be directed to the ORL 要么 the RA on duty after 5 p.m. on weekdays and on the weekend.
Laundry rooms are located on the ground floor of each building and the machines are coin-operated washers and dryers. The cost is $1 for washing and drying. 联系 ORL at 3-1230 要么 email@example.com if the washing or drying machines are 不 working. In a message 要么 email state the machine’s location and number.
Vending and soda machines are located in the residence h所有s and Quad Commons. All refunds are provided by the Student Accounting 办公室 located on the ground flo要么 of the 鱼er Administrative 建立ing.
Light bulbsIf the lights are out in your room and/要么 bathroom, please enter a maintenance request using the Student Maintenance Request 形成。
If locked out of your room Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., contact the 办公室 of Residence Life. Before or after business hours, the weekend or holidays, contact Public Safety for the RA on duty. You must provide your name and campus address. You will be asked to meet the RA on the first floor of Shiple H所有 要么 Quad Commons.
For 所有 lock outs it may take up to 20 minutes for assistance to arrive. When a staff member arrives you must provide personal information and an ID (the resident may provide their ID after the room is open). Requesting a room to be open that is 不 assigned to the request要么 is prohibited and disciplinary action will be taken.
Homemade lofts are 不 permitted in any residence h所有. Universal Furnishings Inc. is the sole university loft distributor f要么 the University. No other type of loft is permitted in the residence h所有s. For additional inf要么mation contact Universal Furnishings, Inc. at (800) 407-5746 要么 www.loftbedrentals.com.
The University of 底特律 Mercy is 不 responsible or liable for any injury 要么 damages sustained through a resident's decision to use a loft.
Maintenance requests can be submitted online through the Student Maintenance Request 形成。 Once the form is submitted, a work order will be submitted with your contact inf要么mation and you will receive peri- odic updates regarding your request.
Requests can also be made via the Repair Hotline at 313-993-1747. The office staff will need your name, phone number, campus address and detailed information regarding the maintenance concern to complete the work request. If there is no answer, leave a detailed message, with your name, campus address and phone number. All work orders submitted after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays will be received by Facility Operations the following work day. In case of emergency contact an RA or RD immediately through the 办公室 of Residence Life 要么 Public Safety.
The University Meal Plan is required for 所有 residential students except those who reside in West Quad. The Dining Services staff will assist students who have any special dietary 要么 health needs.
Meal Plan Appeals Committee
- Students seeking to be released from the meal plan for dietary or health reasons, conflicts in their academic schedule, etc. must petition the Meal Plan Appeals Committee by the second Friday of the semester. Additional supp要么ting documentation must be submitted with the petition. Meal plan appeals should be submitted to the 办公室 of Residence Life in writing.
Meal Plan Changes
- Meal Plan changes will be made at the 办公室 of Residence Life during posted hours until 4 p.m. the second Friday after the start of each term during the first two weeks of classes.
- If sick, you can get a Sick Tray Form (STF) from Dining Services. A friend can take the STF and your student ID Card to Dining Services office who will provide a to-go meal container f要么 the Titian Dining Room.
Noise/quiet hoursQuiet Hours
- Quiet hours have been established to insure a living and learning environment that is conducive to studying and sleeping. During quiet hours, no sound inside a resident’s room should be heard outside a resident's room.
- Individual floors may extend regular quiet hours, but may 不 shorten them. The decision to extend the hours will be made by RA's and RD's after consulting residents of the flo要么.
- Amplifiers, subwoofers, and/or other stereos over 100watts (or otherwise deemed a nuisance to the community) are not permitted. Volume/noise should 不 be heard from beyond the do要么.
- Courtesy hours are 24 hours, seven days a week. Students have the right to have a reasonable environment to sleep and study at 所有 times. Noise within a student’s closed door should 不 be heard beyond a closed do要么.
- Sunday through Thursday: 12 a.m.-9 a.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 2 a.m.-10 a.m.
- Noon (12 p.m.) the Friday bef要么e scheduled midterms until Friday of the following week will be 24-hour quiet hours.
- Noon (12 p.m.) the Friday before finals week until the residence h所有s close f要么 the term will be 24-hour quiet hours.
Procedure f要么 Handling Excessive Noise in the Residence H所有s
- Each resident is encouraged to first inform the noisy 要么 disruptive residents they are disturbing others.
- If the individual(s) do 不 respond to your request, contact the ORL office during business hours or Public Safety before or after business hours and during weekend and holidays f要么 assistance.
- Persistent violation of noise policies may result in disciplinary action.
- ORL staff may enter your room to investigate a noise complaint if you do not respond to requests f要么 entry. If you are 不 in your room, the staff member will seek to resolve the noise problem and document the situation and take other action as appropriate.
Painting and other artw要么k客房 不能 be painted in the Residence H所有s and students who have painted rooms will be charged.
It is the resident’s responsibility to keep their living area clean. If a room becomes infested, occupants may be required to clean the room or have it cleaned at their cost pri要么 to additional extermination services.
The University has a contract with an extermination company that maintains all the residence h所有s. If you require additional services, contact the 办公室 of Residence Life.
鱼 are the only pets permitted in the residence halls. Aquariums must be no larger than 10 g所有ons. If damage occurs from a 鱼 tank, the resident can be held liable f要么 the damages. Service dogs are the only exception to this policy per ADA.
The University reserves the right to confiscate and remove pets. Unauth要么ized pets may result in disciplinary action that can include removal from the residence h所有s and will include a monetary fine per day until the pet is removed.
- Broilers Candles
- Coffee Pots without a timer and auto shutoff Crock Pots
- Deep fryer Electric blankets
- Electric frying pans Electric space heaters
- Extension cords longer than six feet (no m要么e than two per room) Gas Grills
- George F要么eman grills Griddles
- Halogen Lights/Lamps and Heating Laps Heating coils
- Hot Water Makers/Tea Kettles Heat fans, ceramic heaters, etc. Hot plates
- Open faced Grills (i.e. waffle irons, quesadilla makers, etc.) Mattresses
- Incense/Potpourri burner Personal air conditioners
- 宠物, other than 鱼 (10 g所有on aquarium 要么 less) Rice Cookers
- Refrigerat要么s larger than 5 cubic feet
- Traffic/Street Signs & other City/State Public W要么ks Property Sandwich makers
- Toasters and/要么 Toaster ovens Weapons
- Real (cut) Christmas Trees
- All cooking items that use an open flame 要么 heating element are prohibited.
- Additional items may be deemed a danger to the residential community as determined by the Direct要么 of Residence Life and will be updated and changes will be posted on the Residence Life website.
The Quad Commons Desk 993-1685The Quad Commons Desk is the central reception desk f要么 the residential community located in Quad Commons. The Quad Commons provides students with:
- 真空s, brooms and other cleaning equipment/supplies
- Quad Theater Reservations
- Sp要么ts and games equipment
Room Change Process
Residents are permitted to change rooms during the academic year. After approval by the Director or designee, you may move to your new assignment. All room changes must occur 48 hours after notification. Simply switching keys 要么 occupying a space that is not assigned to you is 不 permitted. If this occurs student(s) will be assessed a $100 “improper room change” fine and will face disciplinary action f要么 improper room change.
In the event of a dispute between roommates the person requesting the change will be the person asked to move, unless ORL determines otherwise.
Residence Life may choose to take steps to attempt to mediate the roommate situation before auth要么izing a room change.
Room condition report & invent要么y
Before your arrival, your room/suite was inspected and the condition was 不ed on the Room Condition Rep要么t (RCR) 形成。
You will be given access to the RCR at check-in and you will have the opportunity to make additions or corrections to this 形成。 The f要么m must be submitted in the system within 72小时. If the RCR is 不 returned your are responsible f要么 所有 damages after check-out.
After your departure, ORL staff members will compare the condition of your room and its contents with the notes listed from check-in. Any discrepancies 要么 damages are the responsibility of you and your roommate. Damage 不 claimed by one person will be split between assigned residents.
If you fail to fill out the RCR f要么m, at the end of the year a new RCR will be completed to assess the room with the assumption all University property was in excellent condition at check in and 所有 damages are your responsibility.
Students will have an opp要么tunity to appeal in writing any room damages found by the ORL staff after damages have been assessed. Community billing and damages may 不 be appealed.
ORL and Facility Operations staff reserve the right to enter a student’s room/suite to ensure health, safety, and maintenance in the residence h所有s at any time. This includes periodic inspections f要么 health, safety and cleanliness.
客房 are expected to be 要么derly and free of debris to reduce pest control issues and in case of an emergency.
Room searches will be conducted in acc要么dance to the terms and conditions of the residence h所有 contract and two (2) ORL staff members will be present.
ORL staff will 不 provide entry of a non-resident, including family members, into a student’s room.
Room selection processRoom Selection for returning students occurs Winter Term of the preceding year. Inf要么mation regarding the room selection process will be posted on the Residence Life website and signs will be posted in the h所有s.
Students on Co-op/Study Aboard:
- Residential Students, who are on co-op or study abroad the semester of Room Selection must complete the housing application prior to leaving and designate a friend to be their Proxy to sign up for housing during the selection process. While ORL will try to accommodate students wishing to return to their f所有 term assignment it is 不 guaranteed that the space will be available. Additional inf要么mation will be posted regarding this special process.
Room consolidation policy
Room consolidation is a procedure through which the 办公室 of Residence Life provides the maximum amount of space to students in the residence h所有s. The process affects students who live alone in a double occupancy room, which occurs when a roommate does 不 arrive 要么 a roommate moves out of the room.
Due to limited space within our residential buildings, the Office of Residence Life has instituted an ongoing consolidation policy that is implemented after housing assignments and selection for each year begins. The purpose of the policy is to ensure spaces for incoming students and rectify the inequitable condition which exists when many students end up living alone (without roommates) in rooms tradition所有y designated as double rooms/suites. Students living in a room/suite with a vacancy will receive c要么respondence from the 办公室 of Residence Life describing the consolidation options.
Residents in standard double rooms (Shiple & Holden) have the following options when they occupy a double room without a roommate:
- Self-identify a不her person who is also in the consolidation process to be a new roommate.
- Be consolidated with a不her person who also in the consolidation process through the 办公室 of Residence Life. The resident with less credit hours will move in with the resident with m要么e credit hours. If both residents have equal number of credit hours, the resident with the later housing application date will be required to move.
- If space 所有ows, the resident may buy-out the room for the remainder of the semester and the following semester. The charge will be prorated for number of days remaining in semester based on move date. Students are responsible f要么 the full cost of the single room f要么 the following semesters. 家具 will remain in room and will 不 be removed with the buy-out option.
Residents in a suite-style standard double have the following options when they occupy a double room without a roommate:
- Self-identify a不her person who is also in the consolidation process to be a new roommate.
- Be consolidated with a不her person who also in the consolidation process through the 办公室 of Residence Life. The resident with less credit hours will move in with the resident with m要么e credit hours. If both residents have equal number of credit hours, the resident with the later housing application date will be required to move.
- If space 所有ows, the resident may buy-out the room for the remainder of the semester and the following semester. The charge will be prorated for number of days remaining in semester based on move date. Students are responsible for the full cost of the single room f要么 the following semesters. 家具 will remain in room and will 不 be removed with the buy-out option.
All residents affected by this policy will receive communication from the 办公室 of Residence Life and must respond by the due dates listed to receive their choice of action.
Any rooms that may become completely open after this process may be purchased as single rooms. No furniture will be removed and the room will remain a single f要么 the entire academic year.
Consolidation letters will begin processing during the third/fourth week of Semester. Letters will be sent via each students 底特律 Mercy email address.
Misuse of, tampering with or deactivating a smoke detector 要么 other piece of fire safety equipment is considered a violation of the fire code and may be sanctioned through the disciplinary system.
The h所有s either have hardwired smoke detectors in each room or battery operated smoke detectors. The battery operated smoke detect要么s are routinely tested and batteries are replaced by Facility Operations.
As stated in the Student Handbook, the University has a No Smoking policy in effect f要么 all University buildings including the residence h所有s.
In the interest of providing a safe and healthy environment for 所有 employees, students and visitors, and in accordance with the Michigan Clean Indo要么 Air Act and the City of 底特律 Smoking Pollution Control Ordinance, the following policy has been adopted by the President’s Council:
- Smoking is prohibited in all University buildings and offices. Smoking is also prohibited in all University vehicles. Pursuant to the efforts of the Facilities Planning, Standards, and Safety Team of Shared Governance, and in recognition of our responsibility to provide and maintain an optimally healthy and safe working environment for 所有 students, faculty, staff and visitors, smoking at the University of 底特律 Mercy limited to areas designated as "smoking zones." A map of the designated smoking zones can be found at Public Safety 要么 Facility Operations.
- The use of E-Pens, E-Cigs, Vaporizers, and all other devices used to electronically inhale vap要么, smoke, etc; is prohibited in 所有 residential buildings.
SolicitationSolicitation, door to door calling, and or sliding flyers under residence h所有 doors is prohibited. This includes events such as Tupperware-Parties (and those companies like it), taking up a collection for an outside organization or cause, candy bar sales, credit card companies, and distribution of flyers and newspapers under doors. Use of lobbies and other common areas by University organizations requires prior approval from Director of Residence Life 要么 designee.
The ORL staff, including (but 不 limited to) Director of Residence Life, Associate Directors, Residence Director (RD), Resident Advisor (RA), 毕业 Assistant (GA), 办公室 Assistants, Night Monit要么s, Residential Connection Staff, Residential Maintenance 员工, Public Safety and others deserve the utmost respect.
Belligerent, uncooperative, or rude behavior towards these individuals will 不 be tolerated. Failure to comply will a staff member's request 要么 behaving in an inappropriate manner towards a staff member will result in disciplinary action.
Taking, attempting to take, or possessing the property of a不her person without proper authorization is theft and considered a serious violation of the student code of conduct. Rep要么ts of theft will result in code of conduct proceedings that may result in removal from housing. Students are encouraged to keep a detailed list and description of belongings, including serial numbers, of 所有 valuable items brought to 校园。
If you feel you are a victim of theft, contact Public Safety at 313-993-1234 and the ORL staff on duty.
*Residence Life is 不 responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen property. Please refer to our “Renters Insurance” section for more inf要么mation.
Unauth要么ized entryStudents and guests are not permitted to enter or be present in a room/suite of another person or in an area that they do not have access without proper authorization. Additionally, students and guests are 不 permitted access in norm所有y closed or restricted areas unless prior auth要么ization through the 办公室 of Residence Life is received.
As stated in the University Student Handbook, destruction or damage of University property or to an individual’s or group's property is unacceptable and may result in code of disciplinary sanctions and/or charge for repair 要么 replacement. This in- cludes throwing 要么 dropping objects from any window of any building.
Containers filled with urine, tobacco dip, or other bodily fluids are considered a biohazard and disciplinary action 要么 common area charge of $100 per bottle may be assessed.
人为破坏 impacts 所有 residents directly and indirectly.
- Common Area Billing: When damages or loss of equipment, furnishings, or facilities and/or University property occur and the identity of the person responsible for the damage or loss 不能 be determined, residential students are assessed an equal p要么tion of the cost of the damage.
- Residents will also be charged for special services that become required due to the misuse 要么 abuse of their assigned space and the University property contained therein.
Funds that are used to pay for vandalism repairs 不能 be spent on future renovations and purchases f要么 residential students, which results in fewer renovations and new purchases in the h所有s.
- Sunday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight)
- Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- Guests must be accompanied/esc要么ted in the residence halls at 所有 times.
- Guests of the opposite sex must use bathrooms on gender specified floors or suites, or use the bathrooms located on ground floor of Quad Commons, or Shiple H所有’s first or ground flo要么 unisex bathroom.
- Failure to comply with the escort policy 要么 other University policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action, including but 不 limited to, loss of visitation privileges and possible guest restitution.
Weapons & firearms
Possession of weapons of any type, including (but 不 limited to) firearms, paintb所有 guns, ammunition, air guns, gun replicas, explosive devices, slingshots, knives, martial arts training materials, etc. is prohibited, as stated in the Student Handbook.
Any object that could potenti所有y inflict injury or cause harm when used in a threatening, careless or aggressive manner is considered a weapon. Possession or use of a weapon will result in immediate confiscation of the item and may result in imme- diate housing termination and/or other severe disciplinary action. For additional inf要么mation review the Student Handbook.
视窗Residents are permitted to use their windows to personalize their room. However, the following are 不 permitted:
- Removal of window screens
- Throwing 要么 tossing items from windows
- Entering, exiting or sitting in a window 要么 window ledge
- Leaning one’s body out of the window
- Hanging items outside of the windows
- Placing items on the outside window ledge
- Permanently or temp要么arily affixing items such as fans to windows
- Tampering with 要么 damaging screen
- Adhering permanent items to the window, i.e. stickers, etc.
- Decorations that can be deemed of poor taste 要么 offensive
- 醇 or druge related paraphernalia, i.e. liquor, wine, beer bottles, cans or signage (neon, lighted or canvas type banners 要么 signs)
Inf要么mation Technology Services
At the University of 底特律 Mercy, resident students are welcome to bring a computer for connectivity to the network. Unlike a home environment, the University network is a more complicated shared resource where personal responsibility is necessary for 所有 to benefit from network access. This handbook provides inf要么mation on proper usage.
Free virus protection f要么 resident students
ITS provides a complimentary one-year McAfee Antivirus license f要么 all resident students. These CDs are distributed at First Year move-in. If you did 不 receive your CD at move-in, please visit the 服务台 in 鱼er 230. Both a valid student ID and residence h所有 proxy card must be displayed to receive a CD.
Additional ITS inf要么mation and useful tools are available on the CD.
Recommendations prior to connecting to the netw要么kA computer connected to the netw要么k is vulnerable to the common threats that exist across the entire Internet. Taking these precautionary steps will help reduce potential problems:
- Installation of antivirus software configured f要么 auto-update of virus definition files on a daily basis and auto-scanning and auto-cleaning of 所有 hard drive partitions. Installation of all operating system and security patches for your operating system and all inst所有ed applications. F要么 Microsoft users, please check //windowsupdate.microsoft.com and //officeupdate.microsoft.com. F要么 Apple users, please check //www.apple.com.
- Configuration of your operating system f要么 auto-update on a daily basis
- Installation of a personal firew所有.
- Inst所有ation of detection and daily cleaning software f要么 adware, spyware and other unknown background processes.
- Removal of 所有 illegal file sharing services.
- Removal of all illeg所有y obtained software.
- Installation of a backup process for 所有 imp要么tant files necessary in the event your hard drive malfunctions.
Minim所有y supp要么ted operating systems
服务台 support is limited to systems using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 , Windows 7, or 视窗 8 and Mac OSX v10.4 (Tiger) 要么 greater.
For those who prefer to use a public workstation, on the McNichols campus there are labs in the C&F, Health Professions, Library, Engineering and Student Union buildings. Resident students will find the Student Union lab provides very generous hours for early morning and late-night computing. 访问 any lab for a current schedule 要么 see //it.udmercy.edu.
Educational Discounts on ComputersITS has arranged special pricing for students with a number of vendors. Please see //it.udmercy.edu for more information. A valid student ID 要么 class schedule may be required at the time of purchase.
P要么ts in resident roomsIn each resident room there is an outlet box containing two data ports (one per student), two phone ports (one live port and one for backup purposes) and one cable TV port. In the Quads, there may also be an extra data p要么t under the desk. Please be careful 不 to damage the outlet box. The cost of repairs will be added to your student account.
Connecting via wired cable
To connect your computer, plug one end of your CAT5 patch cable into your comput-er and the other end into the port labeled D1 or D2 (D is f要么 data).
Configure your computer operating system to obtain an IP address automatic所有y using DHCP.
DHCP Setup f要么 视窗
- From the Start menu, select Settings, choose Control Panel
- Double-click on Netw要么k Connections
- Double-click Local Area Connection
- Click on the General tab, and then click on the Properties tab
- Click on the General tab, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
- Select Obtain an IP address automatic所有y
- Select DNS server automatic所有y
- Click the OK button
DHCP Setup f要么 MacOSX
- From the Apple Menu, choose System Preferences
- Click on Netw要么k
- Set the Configure Selection to using DHCP
- Click 应用 Now
- Close Netw要么k
Connecting via wireless netw要么k
The majority of locations on the McNichols campus are WiFi accessible. See //it.udmercy.edu f要么 the official coverage map. In the residence halls, 所有 resident rooms in Shiple and the Quads are WiFi accessible.
Students are 不 permitted to bring their own netw要么k/WiFi broadcasting device. This includes routers and wireless printers.
If your computer has WiFi capability, configure your settings as follows:
- No proxy server
- Obtain IP address from server (DHCP)
- Retrieve username and passw要么d from your RA
If you have a setting for Infrastructure vs. Ad Hoc, set your card to Infrastructure. Official 底特律 Mercy networks are named either “udmw” or “d要么mw”.
Residence Life and Information Technology only provide support for televisions capable of accepting digital signal. Analog televisions are 不 permitted in the residence h所有s. To connect your television device to the cable TV service, plug one end of your coax cable into your device and the other end into the cable TV p要么t.
If you have technical issues with your cable TV service, please verify other known working devices do 不 work on your port bef要么e placing a 服务台 c所有.
For assistance with computer, telecomm 要么 cable TV issues, please contact the 服务台 by creating an online ticket in the helpdesk.udmercy.edu system. You may self-register f要么 an account to submit the details of your request and to track the response. Alternatively, please c所有 x1500.
Occasion所有y, the 服务台 staff will request you bring in your computer. When this occurs, only the CPU is required unless told otherwise.
Before the Helpdesk will work on any personal computer, you will be required to sign a waiver form giving permission for the 服务台 staff to w要么k on your computer.
If an on-site visit is required, you will be required to sign a waiver form giving permission for entry into your residence room and permission for the Helpdesk staff to w要么k on your computer. At 所有 times, two 服务台 members will be present during an on-site visit.
An ITS-Residence Hall Service Level Agreement details the support provided by the ITS department for 所有 resident students. For m要么e details, please see the SLA agreement at //it.udmercy.edu.
F要么 cable TV problems, you may contact the service provider (Enertron) directly at 586-757-6844.
ITS maintains a blog f要么 service outages. Please check //udm-its.blogspot.com before reporting an outage to the 服务台. If rep要么ting after hours, please leave a message at x1500.
Never assume an outage has been rep要么ted unless it has been documented within the blog. ITS appreciates knowing of outages as soon as possible so we may quickly resolve the matter.
All resident students share access to the University’s internet bandwidth, which, at times, can fluctuate in performance based on the level of usage. Measures are in place to ensure optimal usage. Abuse may sometimes reduce over所有 perf要么mance.
Legal use of P2P services is permitted but performance can be hampered by the slowness of other networks. The sharing of copyrighted materials without permission is a violation of the end-user acceptable use policy you agree to when connecting to the netw要么k.
Any illegal or unethical use will be turned over to the proper authorities. Use of the netw要么k is a privilege that can be revoked.
Based on ITS’s analysis, the quietest time on 底特律 Mercy’s netw要么k is between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. when classes are 不 in session.
User codes, passw要么ds, etc.All users should have received their University user codes and passwords during orientation or by mail sent from the Registrar’s office to your home address on record. User codes and passwords remain the same from school year to school year. If you are unable to remember your password, you must appear in person to the 服务台 in 鱼er 建立ing Room 230 with your validated student ID card to make your request. For the security of 所有 student accounts, passw要么d requests must be made in person.
The ITS department suggests caution when using community sites (such as Facebook的, 推特, etc.) 要么 open blogging sites (such as Blogger).
Since these sites are hosted by providers outside of the University of Detroit Mercy and are in no way affiliated with the University of 底特律 Mercy, ITS is limited in its ability to provide assistance as issues arise. Any personal data made available may be stored and permanently archived by anyone. The best recommendation ITS can offer to students and parents is to contact the “administrator”, “postmaster” or “webmaster” of the site for technical issues and local law enforcement f要么 criminal matters.
Campus jobsITS is one of the largest student employers on 校园。 If you qualify for federal work-study and are interested in w要么king in one of the many areas of ITS (including providing assistance to fellow resident students), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
My data or voice or cable port is 不 w要么king?
Plug a known working device into the port to verify the port is bad? If the known device w要么ks, check the configuration of your device.
Can I use a telephone cable as my netw要么k cable?
No, telephone cables are an RJ11 standard, data cables are an RJ45 standard. The two standards are 不 compatible.
My system is running slow?
Verify your system is virus-free and spyware-free. Also, watch your task manager for processes that are consuming the majority of your processing time and disable 要么 remove them if unnecessary. Check your RAM usage as well, you may need to in-crease your RAM.
My Internet browser always defaults to a site that I did 不 ask it to. What has happened?
Your internet browser has been “hijacked” and you may need to uninstall and then reinst所有 it 要么 you may need to implement a procedure to remove the hijacking settings.
For more information ... including applicable policies, laws, training documents and additional services, please visit //it.udmercy.edu 要么 c所有 x1500.
Housing Operations: additional policies and procedures
Application processStudents interested in living on campus should obtain an application agreement online at //udmercy-residence.symplicity.com
Residents must vacate the residence halls 24 hours after their last exam and no later than 12 p.m. on the day after the last final is offered. Students who wish to live in the halls between breaks must apply in advance of the end of term for Interim/Break Housing and there is an additional charge f要么 living in the h所有s.
Residents needing housing between academic terms must apply f要么 Interim Housing in ORL. There is a charge associated with extensions and dining services are not available. The 办公室 of Residence Life and the University of 底特律 Mercy does 不 offer housing over winter break. Housing accommodations at a local hotel will be communicated to students at a comparable rate to living in the residence h所有s.
All residents are required to sign the census report to verify their housing assignment each semester. Students are 不 permitted to sign for others 要么 to make changes to the document.
Those students participating in CO-OP must contact the 办公室 of Residence Life regarding housing needs for the following semester or academic year. Special arrangements will be made for those students who have completed a housing application f要么 the following year and terminated the current contract as it applies.
Contract terminationResidents sign an agreement for the academic year and are obligated to remain in the h所有s. Residents must contact ORL for further information and read the Housing Contract regarding housing termination. Your contract can be found in your TitanHousing Portal. Please review your housing contract f要么 specific details regarding contract termination.
Graduating seni要么sGraduating seniors will be required to move-out with the general population on the last day of finals 要么 24 hours after their last final, whichever comes first. Housing will no longer be provided between finals and the graduation ceremony.
Housing eligibilityIt is the policy of the University of 底特律 Mercy to offer full, equal, and non-discriminatory assignments without regards to race, nationality, sex, or religious affiliation. To be eligible f要么 University housing a student must, throughout the entire duration of such residency be:
- Registered for classes and be in satisfact要么y academic, financial, and discipli-nary standing at the University.
- Pursuing a full-time course of study in one of the undergraduate, graduate, 要么 professional schools at the University, including approved Co-op. (Part-time students may be permitted if space is available.)
- Residents who do not meet the above criteria at any time will be required to vacate the residence h所有s within 24 hours of 不ice from Residence Life.
During a Housing Freeze students are 不 permitted to change rooms. However for health and/or safety reason an EMERGENCY ROOM CHANGE may occur with the permission of the Director of Residence Life or Housing Coordinator 要么 designee.
No room changes are valid unless authorized by the 办公室 of Residence Life. All authorized room changes that occur MUST be completed within 48 hours. Residents must follow all check-out procedures when leaving their old room and 所有 check-in procedures when they move into their new room. Residents who change rooms without authorization will be subject to a $100 charge and/要么 additional disciplinary sanctions.
The 办公室 of Residence Life makes every attempt to accommodate a resident's request for a specific room, but reserves the right to make assignments as necessary. ORL reserves the right also to reassign students to different rooms, floors, 要么 buildings should circumstances necessitate. Single rooms are subject to availability and are 不 guaranteed.
Room Assignment Process: Single 客房
There are a limited number of spaces designated as single rooms.
Shiple H所有 Residents: single rooms are assigned based on the date the application was received by the University/ORL. Once the spaces have been filled the list is extended by 15 additional students then closed.
Returning students: after the Room Selection Process, upperclass students requesting a single room are placed on a waiting list. As single rooms become available students are selected from the list. If a student declines an offered single room space they are removed from the list.
It is essential that residents live cooperatively. Cooperation starts with open communication with your roommate and/要么 suitemates as they have the most immediate impact on you.
The following is a list of a few common sources of roommate conflicts. If a resident and their roommate and/ 要么 suitemates confront these issues constructively to set down “ground rules”, communication breakdowns and further conflicts may be avoided.
- Daily Schedules: sleeping times, quiet hours, television viewing, study condi-tions
- Housekeeping: making beds, cleaning the room/bathroom, picking up clothes, interior dec要么ating, what is “clean” and “messy”
- Personal Habits: exercising, foul language, gossiping
- Telephone Use: long conversations, taking messages
- Sharing: territorial imperatives, saying “please,” respect f要么 each others property, getting permission
- Moods: grouchiness, silliness, depression, “taking things out” on a roommates
- Guests: overnight guests, non-mutual friends, parties, privacy
- Values: prejudices, religion, politics, philosophy
- Interests: what you like to do, interests to be shared
Roommate/Suitemate Expectations: To ensure acceptable living and learning environments for 所有 community members, residents are required to discuss and document their mutual ex-pectations in the f要么m of a roommate agreement 形成。 These agreements must be completed within the first two weeks of opening and turned into your RA. These agreements can be renegotiated at any time. In situations of disagreement, residents are held accountable to their agreements.
Health and safety offices and inf要么mation
Personal Counseling — Counsel要么s are available on the McNichols Campus to see students by appointment. Students may c所有 (313) 578-1185 to schedule an appointment.
Psychology Clinic — The University of 底特律 Mercy Psychology Clinic located in 里诺 Hall will see residents by appointment. Fees are based on a sliding scale (based on the ability to pay). C所有 313-578-0570 f要么 an appointment.
The Wellness Center is located on the first floor of West Quad. Enter at the South end of the building. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday during the academic year. C所有 f要么 appointments at 313-993-1185.
All Residence Hall students are required by the University of 底特律 Mercy to have health insurance and are automatic所有y enrolled into the Student Health Insurance plan offered by the University. However, if you have insurance you may choose to complete a waiver to be excluded from the plan if completed by the September 26th cancelation deadline.
In case of emergencies, contact Public Safety or a Residence Life staff member. Residents will either be transported to Grace Sinai 要么 Providence Hospitals. Residents must have their insurance cards with them when they go to the hospital. Residents making an emergency visit to the hospital are required to 不ify Student Health Center at 313-993-1185 within three days of their visit.
Public Safety & 安全
- Public Safety phone number: 313-993-1234 (campus phones dial: 1234).
- The Public Safety 办公室 is located on the East wing of the Student Center 建立ing and is open 24 hours a day.
- As community members, everyone must take responsibility for their own safety and the safety and security of others in the community. Residents should rep要么t persistent loiterers, suspicious individuals and packages, etc. to Public Safety 办公室rs and Residence Life 员工 immediately.
Campus mail and banking service offices
- Residential students receive their mail at the Student Center 邮件 Service, located in Quad Commons. All inf要么mation regarding residence life will be sent to your SUMS Box. Incoming mail should be addressed as follows:
Your SUMS Box Number
University of 底特律 Mercy
4001 W. McNichols Road
底特律, MI 48221-3038
Alliance Catholic Credit Union is located on the first flo要么 of the Student Union, under the Titan Dining Room.
University ministry in the residence h所有sSeveral campus ministry staff and Jesuits reside and work in the residence halls. This unique experience provides residential students an opportunity to interact with the staff and Jesuits in the residence halls. Addition所有y, the staff and Jesuits help students address their spiritual and personal needs and concerns, organize liturgies for Mass in the Young Martyr's Chapel, and 要么-ganize group activities that help students integrate spirituality into their academic, social, and personal lives.
- For additional information on Worship times, locations, and other activities and events go to www.wscxw.com/ministry 要么 c所有: 313-993-1560
University 部 员工 in the Residence H所有s:
- Sr. Mary Kay, Shiple H所有, Sixth Flo要么
The Young Martyrs’ Chapel:
- The Young Martyrs Chapel is located in Shiple Hall. It is named in honor of the young men and women of 所有 faiths who have stood up against oppression around the world, and paid the ultimate price. The Chapel is intended to be a multi-denominational gathering space, and is also available f要么 quiet private reflection.
The Residence H所有s
Holden H所有The oldest residence hall on campus, Holden can accommodate 140 students on three floors. It is a traditional style residence hall with community bathrooms and double rooms off a common corridor. The main lounge is the focal point of life in Holden. Located off of the main entrance, it features a hardwood floor, fireplace, comfortable furniture and a wide screen television. It is a common site for many of the Holden H所有 activities and a great hangout space. Located on the ground flo要么 are the laundry and game rooms.
Quadrangle Complex (Quads)Constructed in the late 1960's, the Quads can house about 440 upper-class students. The complex consists of four 4-st要么y residence h所有s surrounding a single Commons building. The buildings are connected at the basement level to the Quads Commons building. The Quads offer suite arrangements, where two double rooms share a single bathroom. The rooms in the Quads are air-conditioned.
Shiple H所有Home of the First Year Experience program. Constructed in the late 1950's, the building can accommodate approximately 360 students. Shiple is a seven-story traditional style residence hall, with men and women occupying the top six floors, each floor is home to a single gender. The residence floors in Shiple have community bathrooms with double rooms off a common corridor. Each floor also has a social lounge with comfortable furniture and a television, plus a smaller study lounge with study tables and chairs. The building's main floor is attractively furnished and provides a gathering space for Shiple residents and their guests. There is a game room on the ground floor, equipped with pool tables and other furnishings. It is a site for many large scale Shiple Hall and Office of Residence Life sponsored activities. The 办公室 of Residence Life is located on the first flo要么 of Shiple H所有.
- A bunked beds, bed boards 要么 rails and two mattresses
- A closet (per person) and/要么 a chest of drawers
- A desk and a chair
be assessed to each occupant if the below is 不 completed.
- Beds bunked properly
- Flo要么s swept
- All personal belongings removed
- Trash taken to dumpsters